5636 - 5985 PRINTS - GRAPHIC ART, 16th-19th CENTURY
- Trimmed to and within the borderline; verso sl. stained (occas. vaguely shining through).
= Good, dark impression. Hollstein 10, only state.
- Vague waterstain in lower outer blank corner; sm. closed tear in lower blank margin.
= With the explanatory textleaf (trimmed to just below the text).
- Trifle thin spot in upper right corner. = Hollstein 26, 4th state (of 4).
AND 2 etchings by A. WATERLOO from the series 12 Landscapes (Hollstein 30 and 32, 1st/ 2nd state of 2).
- Trimmed to the plate mark.
= Hollstein 55, 2nd state (of 3), with the number "3"; Van Someren 865. Impressive large portrait, depicting the sitter in profile, within a richly ornamented oval border.
Sompel, P. van (±1600-±1650). Adolph of Nassau. Roman Emperor. Engr. portrait within emblematical border by P. SOUTMAN, 44,5x36,2 cm., from the same series.
- Sl. foxed near upper edge; paper remnants of former tipping-on on verso; very vague horizontal fold.
= With an unidentified collector's mark on verso. Hollstein 25, 2nd state of 2, with the number "1". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXVIII.
- Trifle yellowed and tiny hole in lower blank margin. Frame sl. defective. = Hollstein 51.
Idem. The areopagite judges of Athens (VIIII). Engraving after J. WTEWAEL, from the series of 14 prints Thronus iustitiae, 28,6x37,4 cm., w. engr. numb. "VIII" and two 4-line verses below image and the addresses of Swanenburgh, Van Sichem and Wtewael in the image, unif. framed with the preceding.
- Sl. yellowed. Frame sl. defective. = Hollstein 57.
- On paper with crowned posthorn watermark and w. ample margins. Sl. and vaguely foxed; sm. portion of upper right blank corner restored; sm. area in image trifle vague (washed?).
= Hollstein 94, 3rd state (of 5).
- On paper with crowned posthorn watermark and w. ample margins. Partly vague impression (due to washing?).
= Hollstein 93, 2nd state (of 4).
- Both series occas. sl. foxed in blank margins.
Smith, J. (±1652-1742). (A lady asleep on a pillow in the light of a candle). Mezzotint after G. SCHALCKEN, 22,8x17,8 cm., "G. Schalken pinx" and "J. Smith fec. & excud." engr. in lower margin of image, tipped onto mount in left margin. - AND 2 others: V. GREEN, (Interior of an inn) (mezzotint after D. TENIERS, "D. Teniers Pinxt." and "Val. Green Sclp" engr. below image and "D. Teniers Fec." in image) and J. GOLE, "Galatée" (mezzotint after B. TUBY ROMAIN, engr. caption etc. below image. False fold in right upper corner and sl. rubbed).
= Comprises: "Armoedige Woning" (proof before letters), "Het Bosch", "De Burger-buurt", "Hedendaagsche kamer", "De Italiaansche straat" and "De klooster-kapel". F.M. 4289, no.1-6.
AND a duplicate of the "Hedendaagsche Kamer" (proof before letters). - AND 2 copies (1x handcol.) of "De Nieuwe Hofzaal" (engraving by C. PHILIPS after P. BARBIERS, publ. by J. SMIT).
- Dark impression with ample margins; sm. dark spot in upper right corner indicates erased numb. "7".
= De Vesme 94; Rizzi 146, 2nd state (of 2): numb. 7, typical for this state, appears to be erased. Crowned watermark showing an encircled oval with a hand holding a sword. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXVIII.
- Good impression cut just outside the platemark, on thick 19th cent. paper.
= De Vesme 61; Rizzi 56, the first state (of 2): "The original painting was executed by Giandomenico in 1748 for the church of S. Francesco da Paola in Venice."
= Niemeijer 441S.
Idem. "Hopman Ulrich of de bedrogen Gierigheid". Engraving by P. TANJÉ, 30,3x25,1 cm., w. two engr. 4-line verses (one in Dutch, the other in French) and address etc. below image, Amst., P. Fouquet.
= This print not in Niemeijer.
AND 3 others by the same, incl. 1 duplicate, i.a. "De Puiterveensche Helleveeg aan den tap". - ADDED: 6 smaller 18th cent. engr. Dutch theatre scenes by R. MUIS.
- Ample margins, each w. stained/ yellowed spots (mainly) in margins.
= Titles: "Water Mill", "From a picture in the possession of I.M.W. Turner R.A.", "Mt. St. Gothard" and "Basle". Part of Etchings and Engravings for the Liber Studiorum (1807-1819). Finberg 2 (2nd state (of 5)), 5 (2nd state (of 6)), 9 (2nd state (of 6)), 27 (2nd state (of 3)) and 37 (3rd and final state). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXIX.
- Small brown spot near left edge; otherwise fine.
= Hollstein 21, the 2nd and final state. With the collector's stamp of Gaston de Ramaix (Lugt 4099) on verso.
- Good margins. Partly sl. weak impression. = Hollstein 1, 4th and final state.
- A 19th cent. impression; sl. yellowed; sl. creased in upper right blank margin; sl. foxed in legend.
- Foxed (mainly) in margins; waterst. in upper margin; central vertical fold.
= New Hollstein 41, only state.
= Hollstein 279 , 2nd state (of 3).
- Cut just outside the border line; browned; extended margins. = Hollstein 51, the 1st and only state.
AND 2 others by the same: Martius. De wech naer Hillegom van Lis (etching, 1618. Poor copy, left edge heavily chipped, lacks caption below, hole in lower right corner. Strong impression. Hollstein 36) and The 'Kleine Houtpoort' at Haarlem (Etching. Right margin partly torn off, affecting image. Hollstein 348, 2nd state of 2, with the plate shortened to the right).