5372 - 5561 PRINTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS AND PAINTINGS
- Sl. creased and fingersoiled. = Very nice delicate drawing. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIV.
- Nine scattered wormholes, mostly near edges; closed tear in lower part and repaired lower right corner.
= Slightly naive but charming Dutch winter scene.
- A few foxed spots; otherwise fine. = With a watermark showing "VanderLey".
AND 12 drawings, i.a. a 19th cent. watercolour of a landscape with an English village in the background.
- Right margin vaguely waterst. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIV.
- Laid down. = Scene identified on verso in pencil. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCV.
- Duststained and partly browned.
= Drawing made on site. Slightly naive but very rare and probably one of the earliest views of the village of Hengelo, Gelderland. On the left side of the road a house with the date "1802" on the façade.
= Sketches of a falcon (2x), thrush, toads (3x), dead mice, and a landscape with a village in the distance. Some sketches contain annotations on colours.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCV.
- Professionally doubled.
= Provenance: Christie's London, Important Old Master Drawings, 25th/26th June 1974 (catalogue clipping on verso of a preserved part of the orig. back of the frame).
- Trifle soiled/ wrinkled in mounted margin. = Nice drawing imitating the print-drawing technique.
AND a nice early 19th cent. watercolour of a young woman in Zeeland (Schouwen) dress (27x20 cm., white gouache background).
- A few retouched spots. = Attribution on catalogue clipping tipped onto passepartout on verso.
- Narrow vertical stain; tear in right margin; lower right corner lacks portion.
- Two (old) identification tickets on verso of frame. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVIII.
- Fully mounted. = Nice drawing, sitter unidentified.
ADDED: Roussel, T.C. (1847-1926). Mrs. Cyprian Williams. Drypoint, 14,3x5 cm., signed "Theodore Roussel (...)" in pencil and (vaguely) in the plate.
- Trimmed to/ within the platemark; a few vague curved scratches/ creases; sl. soiled.
= Very fine etching, like a fine pencil drawing. Title/ name supplied on passepartout.
- A few tiny foxed spots; remargined. = Provenance: Unicorno collection.
- Sl. foxed; tiny tear in lower left corner (hardly visible).