2896 - 3632 OLD AND RARE BOOKS
- Contents fine. Most backstrips worn/ dam.; first vol. frontcover stained and w. sm. ticket.
- Title-p. sl. yellowed and duststained; a few scattered sm. stains/ foxed spots. Otherwise fine.
= Fuhring 2863-2916 (different binding order of the plates but similar in contents); cf. Bierens de Haan 511 (note); Fowler p.44; BAL, Early Printed Books 1478-1840, no.331; Kat. Orn. Sammlung Berlin 2222; Kuyper p.225-226. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXVI.
- Lacks 8 plates; several plates dam./ lower corner lacking and duststained/ soiled; textp. waterst.; partly frayed in outer margin (occas. affecting image). Binding worn/ dam. along extremities. Sold w.a.f.
= Hollstein 1-45 ("With text by Salomon de Bray"); Guilmard p.507, 25; Kat. Orn. Bln. 2227.
BOUND WITH: Oficina Arcularia (...) Bouticque Menuiserie (...) Schriner Laden (...) Schrinwerckers Winckel waer in begrepen sijn de principaelste Stucken der Schrinwerckers Const fondamentlick gestelt ende mit nieuwe inventien verciert. Amst., In Officina Crispini Passei, 1642, engr. title and 23 (of 27) plates, folio.
- (Sl.) waterstained, soiled and frayed in outer margin; most leaves dam. in lower blank corner; title-p. and 5 plates dam. in image. Sold w.a.f.
= The first edition was published Utrecht, 1621, containing 13 plates. This is the second enlarged edition. An unchanged third ed. was published in 1651. Hollstein 174, mentioning a copy without the last plate: "With addition of more plates, marked up to the letter S" (our copy with the plates numbered in numbers instead of letters); Franken 1347; Fowler 241; Guilmard p.48: "Cette collection très remarquable"; Veldman, C. de P. and his progeny, p.262: "The multilingual title shows that the publisher was aiming at an international market. The book (...) consists of 13 [1st ed.] prints of expensive and fashionable pieces of furniture of French and Dutch design. They demonstrate that Crispijn not only had a thorough knowledge of the latest developments in furniture-making and styles of ornament, but also that he was well acquainted with the work of his predecessor, Hans Vredeman de Vries." SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXVII.
- Sl. foxed; bookplate on upper pastedown; owner's entry on first free endpaper.
ADDED: L. BEGER, Hercules ethnicorum ex variis antiquitatum reliquiis delineatus (N.pl., 1705, 37 (of 38) engr. pages, contemp boards, folio.).
- Partly (heavily) browned and foxed; all vols. old owner's entry on title-p. Vol. 1 lacks backstrip and frontcover loose(ning); vol. 2 portion of backstrip lacking.
- Trifle smudged; some (contemp.?) annots. in pencil on verso of last plate. Covers rubbed.
= Cf. Bierens de Haan 4634 (ed. 1821).
- As usual without the separate textvol. and without the textleaf to the final 6 plates. Binding worn along extremities; foot of spine dam. Very fine copy.
= The finest Dutch book on the construction of bridges and sluices. The final 6 plates concern "De nieuwe duyker sluys tot Lutje Schardam, of anders genaamt den Horn". Bierens de Haan 4836. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXVII.
- A few lvs./ plates loose(ning); (badly) foxed throughout (occas. also stained); libr. stamps on engr. title, printed title and on final textleaf and final blank, as well as on verso of both covers (pastedowns lacking) . Binding dustsoiled.
= Not in Fowler. Scarce edition.
- Dampstained in top margin almost throughout. Corners worn; backstrip and upper joint dam.
AND 5 others, various languages, i.a. J. ANTELMIUS, De Veris Operibus. Ss. Pp. Leonis Magni et Prosperi Aquitani Dissertationes Criticae (Paris, 1689, contemp. calf w. gilt spine, 4to. First few leaves sl. dampstained; binding sl. worn along extremities and covers rubbed) and P. BESSAEUS, Novi, et rari conceptus Theologici In singulos Dies Quadragesimae, et festa paschalia (Cologne, 1630, woodcut title vignette, contemp. blindst. calf, sm. 4to. Partly browned; top of spine sl. dam.).
- Annot. in pen on verso frontwr. and some underlining in red crayon. Otherwise fine.
= Van Herwijnen 814. Scarce.
AND 1 other: J.W. STAATS EVERS, Kroniek van Arnhem van 1789 tot 1868 (ibid., 1868, modern hcl. w. orig. frontwr. laid down. Htitle repaired).
- Occas. sl. waterstained; sl. wormholed throughout; hinges weak; owner's entry on first free endpaper. Lacks portion at foot of spine; frontcover sl. dam.; joints rubbed.
= Also contains a list with French/ Dutch art terms. Cf. Kunst op Schrift 196.
- A few plates loose(ning); occas. trifle damp- or duststained. Undisturbing owner's entry on frontcover. Otherwise fine.
= Bierens de Haan 522 (first work, ed. 1694) and 523 (second work, ed. 1664); DSB III, p.333-334 (Bosse) and IV, p.46-51 (Desargues). The famous universal method of perspective by Abraham Bosse (1602-1676). Cat. Spelman, The complete artist 186 (other ed.): "Bosse was the first professor of perspective at the Academie Royale and "one of the last great defenders of geometrically correct perspective construction". His unacknowledged appropriation of his fellow academician Desargue's work, in attempting to formulate a complete theory of painting based upon the principles of scientific perspective, led to his dismissal from the Academie."
- A few plates dam.; endpapers browned; occas. dustsoiled. Vellum sl. dried.
= Kunst op Schrift 420. "Goeree's most important contribution to the theory of proportions" (Bolten p.214).
- Weak hinges; leaf and one plate w. rubbed spot; sl. (finger)soiled. Lacks backstrip; boards soiled.
= Rare artists's manual (for children?).
- All vols. trifle browned; vol.1 ticket tipped to last free endpaper. Spines sl. rubbed; all vols. lacking calf over corners.
= Chamberlin 2008: "As valuable for the 17th century in the Low Countries as Van Mander is for the 16th"; Arntzen/Rainwater H97: "Important source".
- Backcover sl. stained. Otherwise a very fine and clean copy.
= Bierens de Haan 2153.1. Not in Kunst op schrift. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXVII.
- Plates trifle/ sl. yellowed (1x sl. browned); title-p. foxed; textlvs. sl. foxed; upper and lower hinges weakening. Boards sl. rubbed/ soiled/ trifle foxed; joints starting.
= Nice and very rare colouring manual, the first two plates each showing 7 'natural colours' in 4 shades each; the following plates showing colours made with a mixture of two to four natural colours. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXVIII.
- Occas. partly waterst. and soiled (1st vol. worse). Spine-ends carefully restored.; sl. worn along extremities.
= Kunst op schrift 342/ 343; Arntzen/ Rainwater H100; Kat. Orn. Berl. 4626; Timmers, Lairesse p.49ff.
BOUND WITH: Grondlegginge ter teekenkonst, zijnde een korte en zekere weg om door middel van de geometrie of meetkunde, de Teekenkonst volkomen te leeren. Amst., J. Hartig, 1727, 2nd ed., (14),115p., engr. frontispice, title-vignette, 9 plates, 7 ills.
- Partly (water)st. and soiled; one leaf loose; a few blank corners missing; sm. hole in frontisp.
- Annots. on first free endpaper; owner's entry mounted on final free endpaper; trifle yellowed; sl. stained; sl. rubbed on spine-ends and joints.
= Kunst op schrift 586; Arntzen/ Rainwater H69 (eds. 1604 and 1618); Chamberlin 2018; Bibl. Belg. M105; Van Someren I,212.
BOUND WITH: Naauwkeurige notitie van het uitmuntend cabinet schilderyen, beelden en beeldwerken, teekeningen en prenten (...). Amst., C.W. Röpcke, 1771, 94,(1)p.