2896 - 3632 OLD AND RARE BOOKS
- Sm. tear in fold in map; upper hinge weak; title-p. sl. foxed. Binding sl. rubbed along extremities; boards sl. chafed.
= Cf. Cohen/ De Ricci p.382 and Lewine p.181, both listing other editions.
- Spine and corners sl. worn. = Early French translation.
- Sm. dam. spot in top margin of title-p. Otherwise fine.
= First Dutch edition of Henry Fielding's Journey from this world to the next (first published in Miscellanies in 1743). Buisman 575.
- Vol. IV from a later edition: contents partly foxed/ browned; contemporary owner's entry "Airly Castle (Airlie Castle, Scotland) 1788" in pen and ink on first free endpaper and bookplate on upper pastedowns. Spines worn (all upper mor. letterpieces worn away); one vol. covers detached; most hinges split(ting) but holding on cords.
- Lacks vol.2; sl. foxed/ dustsoiled/ occas. thumbed. Spine and extremities binding worn.
= Bierens de Haan 2024; F.M. 4302; cf. Haitsma Mulier/ Van der Lem 218, listing other works by Hering. Interesting map "Afbeelding der zeedyken van Oost- en Westzaandam" by Jacob Oostwoud and nice views of i.a. Delfshaven, Elburg, Scheveningen and Texel.
- (Sl.) browned throughout; sm. wornholes in blank margins. Lower joint partly split; corners showing; backstrip cracked; spine-ends chipped; binding rubbed along extremities.
- Vols. 3 and 4 partly browned. Corners bumped.
- Final ±30p. waterstained in top margin (affecting text). Spine-ends dam./ chipped; corners worn; covers rubbed.
- One leaf w. repaired tear (sl. affecting text); bibliographic clipping and annot. on verso first free endpaper; old owner's(?) entry on first page of Reflections ("Peter Fothringham"). Binding rubbed along extremities.
= Nicely bound copy. PMM 239 (on the Reflections; "(...) in defence of an existing régime and against a liberating revolution, one of the most brilliant of all polemics"); cf. Monglond I, p.908-909 and II, p.130-131 (French eds.). Burke's work, first published in 1790, enjoyed immediate success all over Europe.
- Joints splitting; lacks portion at frontcover; covers scratched; binding rubbed along extremities.
- Paper over covers partly torn off; spines (sl.) creased; bindings worn along extremities. Despite defects a fine copy.
= Tiele 1033.
= An ongoing publication on the literary history of France. Very rare. Not collated.
- Sl. creased and formerly folded; outer right margin of border sl. smudged/ stained.
= Detailed overview of the composition of the Parisian National Guard, subdivided into columns. The upper section with information on all 6 divisions incl. districts, officer's names and uniform colours, as well as numbers of troops. The lower section with information on the administrative units of Paris (incl. police departments), the cavalry and a general summary of troops. Very rare.
- Sm. circular section cut out from title-p., to reveal manuscript "Du Bois" on following leaf. Binding worn/ rubbed.
= The very rare first edition of the Dutch codification of masonic law, based on Anderson's "Constitutions", by J.P.J. Du Bois, first published 1761.
- Occas. waterst. in margins; one page loose. Vellum soiled. = Rare. Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 98.
- Some lvs. w. offsetting of heraldic plates. Backstrips worn and faded; binding worn along extremities.
= Monumental work on Frisian nobility.
- Untrimmed copy. Backstrips worn/ sl. dam.
AND 1 other: (A.J. VAN DER AA), Algemeen aardrijks- en geschiedkundig woordenboek, van de provincie Friesland. Introd. F.W. van Breest Smallenburg (Sneek, (1833), contemp. boards).
- Title-p. w. two library stamps. Binding some rubbed spots and dam. spot at foot of spine.
= The rare second edition of this important early bibliographical source for the history of Friesland. Haitsma Mulier/ Van der Lem 383b, also listing the first edition published in Cologne 1593 and a third edition published in Utrecht, 1730.
- Both vols. waterstained in upper margin throughout. Spine darkened and creased. = Rare.
- Lacks 5 maps and 1 plan; for the larger part waterst.; map of Seven-Wolden doubled; map of Dodings-Werstel cut short in right margin; most maps w. sm. tears along folds and strengthened w. paper; all plans doubled. Joints splitting; binding worn along extremities; covers chafed.
= Haitsma Mulier/ Van der Lem 429; Tiele 976.