2269 - 2437 NATURAL HISTORY, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, TRANSPORT
- Wrappers dam./ lacking; a few tears in folds.
- Lacks 1 plate (in the final part); 5 plates and 3 textleaves in final 2 parts (on insects and snakes) loose and frayed (2 plates sl. dam.). Otherwise a fine copy.
= Nissen, ZBI 2131-2135; Nissen, VB 481; Graesse III, 477; DSB VII, p.164-165: "John Johnston (1603-1675) made a significant contribution (...) to the growing interest in natural history during the first half of the seventeenth century. For example, four of his dictionary-style works on fish, birds, quadrupeds, and insects (...) with excellent illustrations were widely read and translated (...)". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCII.
- The first 10 plates and surrounding textpages sl. wormholed; crease in frontisp. Otherwise contents fine. Upper joint loosening but holding on cords; binding worn.
= Nissen, ZBI 2139.
- Plates in fine condition, but occas. sm. restored tears in blank margin(s) and/ or w. closed neat tear at foot of central fold; part 3 three textleaves repaired w. tape. Corners sl. worn.
= Nissen, ZBI 3761. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIII.
- Upper hinge holding on cords. Binding sl. rubbed.
= Nissen, ZBI 3168. Very finely handcoloured plates. Rare.
AND 3 others, i.a. W. HAACKE, Die Schöpfung der Tierwelt (Leipsic and Vienna, 1893, douple-p. map, 20 (chromolithogr.) plates, num. ills., contemp. gilt hmor., 4to. Attractive plates) and J.G. WOOD, Homes without hands. Being a description of the habitations of animals, classes according to their principle of construction (London, 1866, num. woodengr. plates by G. PEARSON, ills., contemp. gilt hmor.).
- Lower hinge broken; lower pastedown loose; title-p. trifle stained. Joints split/ rubbed.
- Contents occas. sl. yellowed, otherwise fine. Bindings worn/ dam. along extremities; 2 vols. lower joint broken and 1 vol. upper joint almost broken.
= The letterpieces w. "Suite à Buffon. Tome XLII[-XLV]. Reptiles 1[-4]". Nissen, ZBI 3901 and 681 (the latter as part of Histoire naturelle, classée par ordres, genres et espèces).
- Hinges weak; trifle foxed. = Rarely found complete.
- Two sm. burnholes in 1 leaf; hinges sl. weak.