2269 - 2437 NATURAL HISTORY, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, TRANSPORT
- All mediocre copies w. extensive annots., mostly in pencil. One vol. backcover loose.
- Plates foxed. Upper hinge splitting.
= The very rare first edition of this classic on the subject, often reprinted, e.g. in 1861 the 6th ed. Bibl. Piscatoria p.128: "One of the best French works on the subject." Collection Michel Guet 151: "important traité de l'halieutiste le plus remarquable de l'histoire de la pêche." SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXIV.
- Wr. sl. browned/ soiled; price-ticket on backcover.
- Endpapers sl. foxed; hinges strengthened. Rebacked; edges binding rubbed.
= Large paper copy on velin. A popular scientific publication, aimed at female readers on astronomy. Monglond III, p.731.
- Lacks one plate (Automobile type Daimler); title-p. of atlas loosening and frayed; plates occas. sl. foxed; two plates sl. incomplete/ loose section; endpapers dam.
= Nice publication, the plates showing apart from aeroplanes, also i.a. models of (sections of) trains and cars and various engines.
- Occas. trifle foxed. Corners sl. rubbed; top of spine of plate vol. chipped. Fine copy.
- Fine copy.
= Willems 1277; Rahir 1314; Ziegenfuss I, p.65; DSB I, p.372. First and only Elzevier edition. Contains a.o. the following chapters: Historia Naturalis & Experimentalis de Ventis; Historia Naturalis, et Experimentalis de Forma Calidi; De Motus Sive Virtutis Activae variis Speciebus; Historia vitae et mortis. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXVI.
- Trifle foxed; one tissue guard torn. = Brockett 5272; Liebmann/ Wahl 1203.
- Bookplate of "Carl Viol" on verso of title-p. of text vol. and of Nova series. Text vol. for the most part foxed and 1 leaf restored in lower blank margin; one text leaf lacks upper blank corner; the section of the Cupuliferae lacks one plate (no.16); the plates are partly (sl.) foxed/ sl. yellowed (some of the monochr. plates worse); occas. offsetting in Nova series of plates on opposite blank leaf (but in the case of folding leaves offsetting on opposite half of the plate); plate vols. without title-p.
= Nissen, BBI 174 (our copy with a different order of binding the various plate sections) and 175; Pritzel 845 and 847; Bastin/ Brommer note 198 and 212 (all calling for a total of 308 plates); Landwehr, Dutch Books w. Col. Plates 30. The extra plates are 2 plates of the Filices family and 4 of the Lorantheae family. Very rare and majestically illustrated standard work on the flora of Java, of which the Nova series deals exclusively with orchids. SEE ILLUSTRATIONS PLATE LXXXV.
- A few leaves sl. yellowed. Lacks ties; vellum sl. duststained. Otherwise a very clean and fine copy, with a near contemp. owner's entry in pen and ink on verso first blank (dated 1653).
= Second Dutch ed. of this major herbal. Nissen, BBI 518; Pritzel 2345; Krivatsy 3303; Bibl. Belg. D120; Simoni, Low Countries 1601-1621, D69. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXVI.
- Lacks htitle, second introductionary leaf and last 2 index lvs.; engr. title-p. dam. (printer's address torn off)/ repaired w. paper; prelim. and index lvs. frayed/ dam. along edges; contents yellowed and waterst. throughout. Vellum soiled; foot of spine dam.; joints splitting; backcover torn in middle.
= Second Dutch edition of this major herbal. Nissen, BBI 518; Pritzel 2345; Bibl. Belg. D120; Simoni, Low Countries 1601-1621, D69. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXVI.
- Without vol. 6 (a complete set contains 232 plates); occas. sl. foxed (1 plate worse); textpages loose(ning) and occas. frayed. Backstrips dam./ worn; paper over covers worn. Sold as a collection of plates not subject to return.
= Nissen, BBI 2241. Rare.
- Most text lvs. foxed.
- Untrimmed copy. Owner's entry on htitle; a few plates sl. browned in upper blank margin and occas. trifle yellowed; a few pages sl. waterstained in blank margins. Paper over covers worn; corners showing; joints chafed.
= The first two works: Nissen, BBI 1078 and 1077 and Landwehr, Dutch Books w. Col. Plates 89 and 93. "A gardener's son from Hesse, Johann Hermann Knoop developed into the founder of descriptive pomology." (Pomona's Harvest p.279). This copy with the handcolouring consistently well executed. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXVI.
- First free endpaper w. extensive annots. on provenance; upper pastedown loosening. Covers sl. worn along extremities; paper over board frontcover partly worn off.
= Ad 1: Nissen 1078; Landwehr, Dutch Books w. Col. Plates 89; ad 2 (Fructologia): Nissen 1077; Landwehr, Dutch Books w. Col. Plates 93.
- Occas. (trifle/ sl.) yellowed. Bindings sl. rubbed.
= Nissen, BBI 2343; Pritzel 5205. Very fine handcolouring.
= Facs. reprint of the ed. 1838, printed in 1000 copies.
- Plates sl. foxed in margins. Spine and board edges worn.
- Lacks 20 plates; a few textpages sl. foxed; upper endpaper sl. wormholed. Top of spine dam.; sm. dam. in top margin of frontcover.
= Rare work, rarely found handcoloured. Nissen, BBI 1406; Pritzel 6417; Hunt 522.
- Lacks 56 plates; text complete, but occas. sl. foxed; bookblock broken and some quires loose(ning); engr. title sl. soiled/ foxed repaired in blank margin and. Binding worn/ dam. Sold w.a.f.
= Nissen, BBI 1406; Pritzel 6417; Hunt 522.