771 - 1153 CHILDREN'S BOOKS, incl. COMICS, DRAWINGS, GAMES AND TOYS
- Spine splitting; boards soiled and edges rubbed. = Das lebende Bilderbuch Band I. Rare.
Das Kinderjahr. Ibid., W.D. Zehetmair, n.d. (±1948), 12 double-p. pop-up plates (incl. covers), orig. clothbacked pict. boards, sm. sq. 8vo.
- Two plates w. sm. repair. Board edges rubbed. = Das lebende Bilderbuch Band II.
Max und Moritz. Der Dritte Streich. Das lebende Märchen. Bonn, Dalemär, 1948, (8)p. (incl. wr.), 3 lvs. w. movable parts and pull tab, col. ills. after W. BUSCH, orig. pict. wr., obl. large 8vo.
- One plate lacks movable part; all pull-tabs dam. or (partly) missing, but all parts present in working order.
AND 11 others, i.a. J. TRNKA, Vom Pfefferkuchenhäuschen (Prague, 1956, 4 col. pop-up plates, 3 loose paper dolls in rear pocket, orig. clothbacked pict. boards, 4to) and GEBR. GRIMM, Das Tapfere Schneiderlein (Bonn, 1948, 3 plates w. movable parts and pull tab, orig. pict. wr., obl. large 8vo. One movable part dam. Rare).
- Contemp. owner's entry on first free endpaper; head worn and w. dam. spots. Hinges weak. Board edges rubbed/ worn.
= Only one copy found, present in the British Library. Not in the usual reference works. Very rare shaped book with an old man's head protruding through the leaves and frontcover. Each plate shows the man in a different age and occupation, but as the title says, always with the same head. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXX.
- Edges sl. creased.
= A so-called heads-bodies-legs book in which body parts can be combined. Illustrations in the style of Toonder Studios.
Lach Mee! N.pl., n.publ., n.d. (±1950), 5 lvs. w. movable parts (8 diff. figures), col. lithogr. ills., orig. wr., narrow 8vo.
- Horizontal fold; annot. in pen and ink on verso. = Heads-bodies-legs book.
AND 3 others similar, i.a. KELLOGG'S FUNNY JUNGLELAND (n.pl., 1909, col. plates, orig. wr.) and A. GUSTAFSSON, Hokuspokus (Gothenburg, ±1960, col. plates by A. GUSTAFSSON, orig. clothbacked pict. wr., narrow 8vo. Rare).
- Wr. sl. creased. = Rare.
(Boost, W.). De gelaarsde kat. Sprookjes-theater. Amst., Helios, n.d. (±1955), 5 double-p. pop-up plates and orig. clothbacked pict. boards by WIM BOOST. - AND 7 others, all Dutch, all w. pop-up plates, i.a. HET MOOIE DORP/ OP HET VLIEGVELD/ OP ONS STATION/ MIJN POPPENHUIS (n.pl., n.d. (±1960), 4 vols., each w. 2 pop-up plates, orig. wr. All rare, probably Dutch editions of originally English publications).
- Trifle foxed; one plate w. tear near tab. A fine copy.
= Rare Dutch movable book. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXXII.
- One plate of the first vol. w. tear in edge. Board edges worn.
= So called carousel picture books. With a cyclostyled copy of the text volume to Dornröschen. Attractive pop-up books. Krenn's Theater Album no.1 and 2.
AND 1 other.
- Minor imperfections. = Probably a complete series.
AND 20 other pop-up books illustrated by V. KUBASTA, mostly Dutch language, i.a. Doornroosje, Roodkapje, Hans en Grietje and Assepoester.
- Two locks sl. dam, otherwise contents fine. Boards sl. yellowed.
= Not in the usual reference works. Rare anthroposophic movable book, in which 6 illustrations are hidden behind a hinging flap with a paper lock.
Iidem. Sommer-Rätsel. Ibid., idem, 1953, 3rd ed., 5 lithogr. textp., 5 col. lithogr. plates w. movable sections, bound as a blockbook, orig. clothbacked col. lithogr. boards by H. LANGEN, obl. 4to.
- One movable section repaired w. sellotape; one pull tab replaced w. modern board; one plate sl. dam.
AND 7 others, all illustrated by HILDA LANGEN or GERDA LANGEN, incl. later editions.
- Dustwr. defective. = Les Albums Animés.
Aimée, C. Jour de fête. Ibid., idem, 1947, (18)p., 4 double-p. col. movable pop-up plates by A. SCHENK, showing fairground attractions, orig. pict. ringbinder.
- Minor imperfections, a fine copy. = Les Albums Animés.
AND 3 others, i.a. MATEJA, La Kermesse des animaux (Monte-Carlo, 1949, 5 movable plates, orig. pict. boards. Contents loose, but fine).
- Spine and folds repaired and strengthened w. scotch tape; lower edges chipped.
= A rare so called heads-bodies-legs book with characters that can be changed with folding flaps. Probably of German origin.
AND a modern facsimile edition.
- A few lvs. sl. soiled in margins; last few lvs. waterstained in upper part; owner's entry on htitle.
= The first edition. Huiskamp L229. Lust en Leering p.24 and p.394-395: "Het eerste Nederlandstalige jeugdboek met luikjesprent. Als men het deurtje op één van de prenten opent blijkt er een aap achter te zitten." Also with proto-Struwwelpeter/ naughty children stories i.a. about a boy who thinks he can cook and burns himself terribly and about a boy who draws on walls.
- Remnants of former transparent dustwr. along edges upper pastedown. Otherwise a fine copy.
Idem. Floconnet. Ibid., idem, 1951, 23p., 3 movable col. plates w. pulling tab and orig. pict. board w. movable parts and pulling tab by S. MANUTA, obl. 8vo. Baldi, F. Les Fables de La Fontaine. Ibid., idem, 1951, 2nd ed., 41p., 3 movable col. plates w. pulling tab and orig. clothbacked pict. boards by F. BALDI (fine). - AND 3 other pop-up books.
- Lvs. sl. foxed. = Rare movable book. From the series Collection tournimages.
Parade des Joujoux. Ibid., idem, 1952, (14)p., 4 plates w. revolving pictures, (full-p. col.) ills. by OKEY, orig. pict. boards, 4to.
- Spine sl. rubbed. frontcover sl. duststained. = Collection Surprise.
AND 9 others, all French language, i.a. 2 others similar from the same series w. revolving pictures and 3 vols. w. a pop-up plate.
- Portfolio frayed; one flap lacking.
AND 2 others by PAX STEEN: 1+1=2 and Kijk en Lees (n.pl., n.publ., n.d., 2 vols., 2 plates w. movable plate w. pull tab, orig. wr., 4to).
- All fine.
= A very rare complete series of these movable books, only "Mijn Poesenboek" w. one copy in NCC. Mijn Berenboek in a French edition.
= Privately published in a probably very limited edition.
Lavater, W. Roodkapje. Utr., Het Spectrum, 1973, leporello, 38 entirely col. lithogr. pages by W. LAVATER, orig. cl., plexiglass slipcase.
= Dutch edition after the French, publ. by Adrien Maegt, Paris, 1965.
AND 20 other movable and pop-up books, i.a. H. KRAHÉ, Komm zu uns, lieber Weihnachtsmann! (Esslingen, 1994, col. pop-up and revolving plates, orig. boards, obl. 4to) and MOTHER SHIPTON (Toronto, 1980, fold. text leaf, facs. vol.: lvs. w. folding flaps, orig. wr., together in orig. envelope. Facs. harlequinade vol. of the ed. London, 1800).
= Biblioteca Diorámica. Colección Fonoroma.
- Contents fine. Some spine-ends worn (1x repaired); rubbed along boardedges.
= Complete series? 1. De haven, het station; 2. De garage, het vliegveld; 3. Roodkapje, De gelaarsde kat; 4. Hans en Grietje, Sneeuwwitje; 5. Assepoester; 6. Sneeuwwwitje.
AND 11 others (i.a. 9 similar), all but 2 published by the same (2 English editions, publ. by Sandle Brothers), i.a. Vacantie op de boerderij and Op de boerderij and 2 untitled vols. w. fold. pop-up plates.
- Boards sl. fingersoiled. = Charming children's book, the second vol. of the series Livre-surprise.
Idem. Georgie has lost his cap. London, The Harvill Press, 1945, (10)p., col. ills. w. shaped flaps and orig. pict. wr. by the same, large 4to.
- Contents fine. Wr. (dust)soiled and sl. rubbed.
AND 2 others by the same, i.a. a duplicate of Georgie has lost his cap.
- Contents loose, but plates in good shape. = Hunt 613.
Weatherly, F.E. More pleasant Surprises. London, E. Nister, n.d. (±1893), (20)p., 8 chromolithogr. movable plates w. pull-tab, orig. clothbacked chromolithogr. boards, folio.
- All lvs. loose; (sl.) foxed; one plate w. closed tear. Covers soiled. Sold w.a.f. = Hunt, p.313.
AND 1 other (not movable) published by E. NISTER: Dicky Bird Land.