771 - 1153 CHILDREN'S BOOKS, incl. COMICS, DRAWINGS, GAMES AND TOYS
- Minor imperfections. Fine copy.
Tuck's Annual with Realistic Suprise Panoramas. Ibid., idem, n.d. (1934), 144p., 3 double-p. chromolithogr. panorama pop-up plates, num. ills., orig. clothbacked pict. boards by M. BENATAR, 4to. - AND 12 others, i.a. 7 others from the same "Come to Life" Panorama Series (incl. 2 duplicates), i.a. ARABIAN NIGHT STORIES; D. DEFOE, Robinson Crusoe and C. GILSON, Sea Stories and FATHER TUCK'S ANNUAL FOR LITTLE PEOPLE (London, ±1930, 2 chromolithogr. pop-up plates, num. ills., orig. clothbacked pict. boards, 4to) and 2 vols. of the series FATHER TUCK'S "COME TO LIFE" LITTLE BOOKS.
- Sl. foxed. Rubbed and a few worn spots along extremities.
- Hinges weak; one pop-up plate sl. dam. Joints and corners worn. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXX.
- Board edges rubbed, otherwise fine.
= Stunning panorama of a river flowing through (French) countryside, starting in the mountains, passing villages and small cities and flowing into the sea. Illustrated by the Russian emigré artist Aleksandra Aleksandrovna Ekster (1882-1949), a Russian/ Ukrainian avant garde artist from Kiev (Cubo-Futurist, Suprematist, Constructivist) and a big influence on the Art Deco style. From the series Albums du Père Castor. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXXI.
= Quim Corominas (b.1951) is an artist and collector of movable books.
Tietz, U. Jokers Bücher ABC. N.pl. (Recklinghausen), Ulrich Tietz, 2006, leporello, w. 7 pop-ups, produced in 10 signed and numb. copies, 12mo, in a small wooden cigar box w. lid.
= Personal copy for the book collector Theo Gielen with 2 personalized pop-ups and with AUTOGRAPH SIGNED DEDICATION to Theo Gielen.
Gasparim, A. Geometry Represented. N.pl., n.publ., n.d., 8 double-p. plates w. 11 (partly movable) pop-ups, orig. paper backed boards, 4to.
= Probably produced in a small number of copies. Nice pop-up book on various elements of geometry, i.a. perspective and the Kotal projection.
AND 4 other small pop-up items, 1x by ULRICH TIETZ and 3 pop-up cards by MICHAEL ISING und RAFAEL ARMBRUST.
= Early rough design for the pop-up book Trains by Robert Crowther (London Walker Books, 2006). SIGNED in pen an ink and w. a few annotations. by the artist.
Idem. Trains. Original mock-up model, 4 double-p. plates w. drawings in black felt tip pen, w. movable parts, pull tabs and pop-up elements, plain wr.
= SIGNED and w. annotation "Closed to finished version of 'Trains' but only 4 spreads!" in pen on frontcover.
AND an early pop-up mock-up model design in black felt tip pen for a plate for the work above, also signed.
= From the collection of Theo Gielen. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXXI.
- Most plates w. repairs or fixed parts (one plate lacks the puppets); sl. soiled and foxed.
- Contents loose(ning); fingersoiled; all plates lack one or two moving sections; scribbling in pen on blanks. Covers soiled and worn along extremities.
= Even with these defects a collectible and rare movable book.
AND 2 others, i.a. DEUX BONS CAMARADES (Paris, A. Capendu, ±1900, 4 chromolithogr. movable plates w. pull tab, orig. clothbacked chromolithogr. boards. Three of 4 plates incomplete).
- Contents fine. Spine split; outer and upper edge frontwr. frayed.
= Cat. Beweegbare boeken 42; coll. Caljé-Van Gulik 327.
AND a mediocre duplicate. - AND 4 copies of F.H. VAN LEENT, Van prinsesje tot koningin. Een aardig tooverboek ((Haarlem), n.d. (1898), 8 col. lithogr. plates on 4 fold. plates (incl. inside wr.), orig. col. lithogr. wr.).
- Lacks backstrip, repaired w. stiff paper; board edges rubbed/ worn.
= Early Dutch Walt Disney edition published in the series ""Pieco" boeken".
AND 2 duplicates of the work above (poorer copies) and 1 other from the same series, German edition: Micky Maus im Zirkus (Zurich, 1936, 3 col. pop-up plates, ills., orig. boards. Spine repaired).
- Poor copy, ills. partly handcol/ watercol.; covers dam. / frayed; spine repaired w. sellotape.
= A rare movable shape book. No copies in NCC.
- No. 3 frontcover repaired w. tape, still in working condition.
= Rare comic books with moiré effect. Matla FILBO 1.3 and 1.4.
- Hinges weak/ splitting. Board edges rubbed.
Idem. Bookano Zoo. Animals in Fact, Fancy and Fun. Living models Series. Ibid., idem, n.d. (±1940), (44)p., 6 double-p. col. pop-up plates, ills., orig. pict. boards, obl. 4to.
- Corners showing and worn spots along extremities.
Idem. Living Models Children's Annual. No.5. Ibid., idem, n.d. (±1933), 71p., 4 double-p. col. pop-up plates, col. plate, num. ills., orig. clothbacked pict. boards.
- Occas. sl. foxed; upper hinge weak. Extremities binding rubbed/ worn spots; paper over backstrip partly worn away.
AND 9 other 'Bookano' vols., i.a. 1,2,3 FIGURE BOOK (London, ±1930, 4 double-p. col. pop-up plates, orig. clothbacked pict. boards).
- Occas. children's scribblings and/ or owner's entries; most pop-up plates with (sm.) defects. All bindings rubbed/ worn along extremities.
= A rare and long run of this series. No. 3 and no. 9 have 2 identical pop-up plates. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXXII.
AND 7 duplicates, in poorer condition.
- A few plates defective; occas. children's colouring; trifle foxed; one vol. w. weak hinges. One vol. rebacked; all vols. bindings worn/ rubbed along extremities.
Idem. The Daily Express A.B.C. Ibid., idem, ±1930, 7 double-p. col. pop-up plates showing the alphabet, orig. clothbacked pict. boards.
- Sl. weak hinges; first and last free endpaper soiled and w. dedication. Boards rubbed and fingersoiled.
Idem. Living Models Children's Annual (no.1 and 5). Ibid., Strand Publications, ±1937, 2 vols., unpaginated, each w. 5 double-p. col. pop-up plates, num. ills., orig. pict. boards.
- A few plates defective. Paper over backstrip first vol. partly worn away.
AND 5 others: DAILY EXPRESS ADVENTURE BOOK (London, ±1930, movable pop-up plate, ills., orig. clothbacked pict. boards, 4to) and 4 duplicates of DAILY EXPRESS CHILDREN'S ANNUAL.
- One plate in Pot-pourri vol. dam. and pieces lacking and a few lvs. hinges strengthened w. sellotape in same vol. Rubbed/ worn along extremities bindings; vol. 4 covers soiled; vol. 3 covers sl. foxed.
AND 1 other from the Living Pictures Series: THE STORY OF JESUS (ibid., ±1940, 6 double-p. col. pop-up plates, orig. clothbacked boards).
- Spine-ends and corners worn.
Idem. The Story of the 3 Bears. Ibid., idem, n.d. (±1935), (16)p., 2 double-p. col. pop-up plates, orig. pict. boards.
- Owner's entry on verso first free endpaper, otherwise contents fine. Paper backstrip torn off.
AND 9 other 'Bookano' pop-up books, incl. duplicates, i.a. BOOKANO ZOO, ABC IN LIVING MODELS and 1,2,3 FIGURE BOOK.
- The plate with the owl and the cat not present but the cut-out figures are both present in modern paper front pocket; library stamp on verso frontcover; 2 chafed spots on frontcover.
= Plates show "Mrs. Peter Pumpkin Eater", "Mother Hubbard and her Dog", "The Princess and the Ogre", "The Hare and the Tortoise" and "Red Riding Hood and the Wolf".
In het dwergenland. Orbis-kleurenboek met opzetbare figuren. N.pl., Orbis, ±1925, 6 (col.) plates (incl. 3 with press out figures), orig. clothbacked chromolithogr. wr., obl. folio.
- Figures partly handcoloured.
Hurra wir ziehen um! Esslingen, J.F. Schreiber, n.d. (±1950), (7)p., 7 plates w. num. loose col. figures, orig. clothbacked pict. boards, obl. large 4to.
- Lacks 17 figures and envelope or pocket on upper pastedown.
AND 7 others with loose or press out figures, i.a. KINDERLAND (Rott., ±1940, plates w. col. pop-up figures, orig. hcl., obl. folio) and WAT VIND IK OP DE BOERDERIJ (n.pl., n.d. (±1955), panoramic plate w. num. loose figures, orig. clothbacked pict. boards).
= Both vols. part of the Magic Windows series.
Rawlins. Lane's Telescopic view of the ceremony of her Majesty opening the great exhibition of all Nations. N.pl., Antiquus viejos ingenios, n.d. (±1990), concertina bound peep show w. 6 scenes (incl. backcover), orig. board slipcase.
= Facsimile of the ed. London, 1851.
AND 6 other similar concertina peep show books, i.a. P. BOURGEOIS and D. WESTERFIELD, Gaiarama. Rainforest. The Unfolding Adventures (Willits, n.d. (±1975)) and A SUNDAY ON LA GRANDE JATTE TUNNEL BOOK (Chicago, n.d. (±1990), col. scenes by G. SEURAT, orig. boards. Still shrinkwrapped).
- Lacks one flap.
= On verso 11 figures to be cut out, i.a. a pudding, ham, boxes and a scale. Perhaps British.
AND 1 other design for a movable (?) colouring book/ plate: "Aaltje zat op een paaltje. Weg is Aaltje".