2238 - 2489 FOREIGN HISTORY AND TOPOGRAPHY, TRAVELS
- One mounted publishers leaf with English text on 2nd leaf of first vol.
= "This is a collection of Japanese music and covers all the diverse compositions popular in the country (...)".
- Sm. owner's entry on upper pastedown. Silk sl. worn along extremities.
- Bookplate on upper pastedown; stamp on both title-pages/ 1x w. owner's entry; plates trifle foxed/ 1x sl. waterst.; endpapers sl. yellowed/ wormholed; map sl. frayed/ w. tear. Binding sl. rubbed along extremities.
= Cordier p.588; Wenckstern p.48; Landwehr, Dutch Books with Coloured Plates 395; Tiele 873; Cat. NHSM I, p.237. Rare work in which the Dutch doctor of medicine Pompe van Meerdervoort describes his activities and the developments in Japan during his 5-year stay on the invitation of the Tokugawa rulers. The first six chapters of the work deal with the history and culture of the Japanese up till 1859 and their international relations. The final seventh chapter focuses on the activities of the Dutch in the period 1859-1863 and specifically on Pompe van Meerdervoort's own role as doctor and educator of a new and modern class of Japanese doctors. The plates mainly show the costumes worn by the various types of Japanese, but also include 2 nice views of the Bay of Nagasaki and the Hospital of Nagasaki, which was founded by Pompe van Meerdervoort. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXIV.
- Two maps w. sm. tears; otherwise a good copy.
AND 1 other: A.C. LOTHIAN, A Handbook for travellers in India, Pakistan, Burma and Ceylon (London, 1955, 7th ed., tinted maps, orig. giltlettered cl., sm. 8vo).
- First vol. bookblock broken. Both vols. w. sm. stamp on frontwr.; both vols. wr. frayed/ lacks corner.
Bischoff-Widderstein, F. China, oder Übersicht der vorzüglichen geographischen Punkte und Bestandtheile des chinesischen Reichs (...). Vienna, Kaulfuß Witwe, Prandel & Comp., 1843, IV,203,(13)p., 1 fold. lithogr. map of China, contemp. gilt hcalf.
- Sl. dogeared wr. browned and sl. creased. = Rare propaganda album.
- One plate cut short; a few plates frayed; one map w. tear along fold, affecting the image; sl. yellowed/ foxed. All bindings w. rubbed and dried spines, worn along extremities; vol. 1 upper joint split.
- Textquire and first mount foxed; the first two plates sl. foxed; otherwise mounts trifle foxed and plates fine. Some sl. foxing on inside portfolio, otherwise fine.
= Lipperheide Qda 18.
- Bookblock and binding sl. warped; frontcover partly discoloured.
= Facsimile edition of the log book kept by Australian marine artist Jack Earl during his circumnavigation on the ketch Kathleen Gillet.
- Spine-ends sl. worn. = Chanticleer 130.
= SIGNED by both authors on title-p.
Hansen, H.J. Galionsfiguren. Illustrierter Generalkatalog. Oldenburg, Stalling, 1979, 224p., richly illustrated, orig. cl. w. dustwr., folio. Mondfeld, W. zu. Historische Scheepsmodellen. Deventer/ Antwerp, Kluwer Technische Boeken, 1980, 355p., richly illustrated, orig. boards w. dustwr. - AND 11 others similar, i.a. P.H. SPECTRE and D. LARKIN, Wooden ship. The art, history, and revivial of wooden boatbuilding (Boston/ London/ Melbourne, 1991, col. ills., orig. cl. w. dustwr., folio) and H.I. CHAPELLE, The Search for Speed Under Sail (London, 1968, num. (fold.) plates, orig. cl. w. dustwr., large 8vo).
- Fine set.
- Partly foxed (incl. plates). Paper over boards chafed.
- Contents browned/ sl. foxed (plates in better condition than text). Bindings sl. rubbed along extremities.