2238 - 2489 FOREIGN HISTORY AND TOPOGRAPHY, TRAVELS
- A few scattered annots. in ballpoint; hole in title-p. closed w. paper; sl. foxed; hinges weak. = Rare.
= Cf. Pohler II, p.696 (ed. 1868).
- Old owners entry on first free endpaper. Otherwise fine.
= "Das malerische und romantische Deutschland I." Hoff-Budde 2999-3025. Nice views of i.a. Dresden, Pillnitz, Toeplitz and various castles.
= With sm. gilt armorial (owners?) stamp on upper pastedown of an emerging lion, a single rose(?) with a helmet.
- Some occas. (sl.) foxing; one flimsy lacking for the greater part; old owner's entry on upper pastedown (1852). Spine-ends frayed; covers sl. soiled/ stained.
= Nice views of i.a. Mainz, Bieberich, Ehrenfels, Bingen, Sonneck, Bacharach, Oberwesel, Koblenz, Neuwied, Andernach and Cologne.
AND a steelengr. "Panoramic Map of the Rhine, from Cologne to Mayence" (London, W. Tombleson & Comp., ±1830).
- Sl. foxed.
- Foxed. Spine dam.; upper joint split; worn along extremities; covers discoloured.
= Not in Holloway; Engelmann 485.
Barber, T. Picturesque illustrations, of the Isle of Wight, comprising views of every object of interest on the island, engraved from the original drawings, accompanied by historical and topographical descriptions. Ibid., Simpkin and Marshall, n.d. (1835), (2),110p., steelengr. title, 1 double-p. map and 40 plates, contemp. gilt blindst. cl., large 8vo.
- Title and plates foxed; p.97/98 and 1 plate sm. portion of blank corner torn off. Lower joint split at top; spine-ends and corners worn.
= Holloway 16; Andres 384.
- Part 3 without leaf K3 and K4, but text complete. Good/ fine copy.
= First and only Dutch edition. Cf. Lowndes p.101.
- A few lvs. lacking blank lower outer corner, contents otherwise very fine. Joints and extremities sl. worn.
= Comprising attractive views of Fingal's Cave and Gibraltar as well as fine maps of present day England, Scotland, Ireland and Gibraltar.
- Vol. 1 lacks p.I-II at beginning of preface but text apparently complete; a few small imperfections, occas. affecting images/ text. Bindings worn/ sl. dam. along extremities. Good copy.
= Most plates w. manuscr. caption in lower blank margin in old hand in pen and brown ink.
Price, J. An Historical Account of the City of Hereford. With some Remarks on the River Wye, and the Natural and Artificial Beauties contiguous to its Banks, from Brobery to Wilton. Hereford, printed by D. Walker, 1796, 262p., stipple-engr. frontisp. and 6 views/ plans, later hcalf w. mor. letterpiece.
- The plans browned/ foxed; frontisp. and views sl. foxed in blank margins.
- Lacks 17 plates, printed title and a few preliminary pages (to each part). Generally plates in good condition. Backstrip worn/ rubbed.
= French edition. Holloway 124 (English edition).
- Owner's entry on title; plates w. some usual foxing. Spine-ends strengthened w. leather straps; joints split; spine sunned and sl. dam.
= Bound with 2 extra plates (1x steelengr.; 1x lithogr.), not called for in index. Not in Holloway.
- Partly trifle foxed (also on backstrip). Fine copy. = Rare.
- Vol. 1 upper joint splitting.
= Interesting and extensive work on 18th century London, containing chapters on the melancholy of the English, horseracing, women, its laws, wines etc.
- Map w. partly repaired tear. Otherwise very fine.
= Published on occasion of the International Railway Congress (London, June 1925).
AND 5 others, i.a. ITINERARY OF AN OBSERVATION TOUR OF LONDON organized for members of the International Railway Congress (London, 1925, orig. wr.); a railway map of the London Underground (1936) and a Baedeker guide to London (9th ed., 1894).
- Both vols. w. bookplate by "Knuthenborg" on upper pastedown; vol. 1 3 lvs. ruststained in upper blank margin. Papers over boards and spine dam.
- Unopened and untrimmed copy. Two vols. w. owner's entry on title-p.; vol. 1 w. some foxed spots. Upper joints of all wrappers splitting; frontcover vol. 1 loosening.
= Barbier II, 1225.
- Sl. foxed.
Cooper, E. The Harim and the Purdah. Studies of Oriental women. Ibid., idem, (1915), 375p., 32 photogr. plates, orig. gilt dec. cl.
- Lower joint splitting; spine and part of frontcover sunned.