5839 - 6022 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Sl. foxed, tipped onto mount. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCV.
- On sketchbook(?) leaf tipped onto paper mount and w. a few sm. tears in left blank margin; trifle spotted.
- Trifle foxed; tipped on mount along upper margin.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVI.
= Attractive view. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVI.
- Partially browned (stains); sm. closed hole in upper left corner; thin sections in upper margrin; paper trifle creased.
= With a watermark showing "VI" in the centre. With a copy of a letter by Werner Sumowski with the attribution to Jansz. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVIII.
- Waterst. near lower edge; worn spots near upper edge.
- Waterstained; creases; paper remnants on verso; tears in left edge.
- Yellowed; trifle/ sl. foxed and w. some sm. marginal (water)stains (some of the affected spots professionally strengthened on verso w. Japanese); later pencil annot. in upper right corner.
- With later "door Lise Krämer" in ballpoint on verso; first drawing sl. foxed.
= Elisabeth Krämer-Bannow (1874-1950), author of Bei kunstsinnigen Kannibalen der Südsee (1916), was one of the few female anthropologists of the early 20th century.
= With text in watercolour in lower margin: "T is Frederik vol van Moet Bij Felle Oorlogs-Brand. Geen vuur nog staat ontziet. Tot Heÿl Van t' Vaderland." and with "Strÿd en Ooverwind" in a banner in the sky. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVII.
- Sl. dam. along margins in upper corners. Frame sl. dam.
= Shows Fredric William I writing "Got help mynen Zoonen 29" on a piece of paper and another sheet with the text "Brave Ik moet van: U PV Oianie". Cf. F.M. 5294, with slight differences in the text and cf. Atlas van Stolk 5181 (with sl. differences in text and image). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVII.
- Old folds; sl. browned/ worn. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVIII.
- Some marginal tears/ chips and creases.
- Cut on/ just outside the borderline.
Idem. (Sketch of a vase with flowers). Drawing, pencil and brown wash, 13,6x9 cm., monogrammed "VL ft." in lower left corner, upper right corner mounted. - AND 2 etched still lifes by the same (signed and monogrammed in the plate).
- Upper joint sl. weak; a few scratches on front and back cover.
= Very delicately copied after of 13 (of 14) engravings from the series Christ and the Apostles (New Hollstein 86-98) (lacks the apostle Saint Matthias) and after the engraving showing the Holy Virgin and Child (New Hollstein 81). According to an annotation on first free endpaper, from the collection of Alphonse Willems, bibliographer of the Elzevier publishers. WITH a loosely inserted engraving by LUCAS VAN LEYDEN of the apostle St. John (trimmed to/ on the borderline, New Hollstein 90). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVIII.