5372 - 5561 PRINTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS AND PAINTINGS
- Partly yellowed. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXIX.
- Sl. yellowed along edges due to former passepartout. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXX.
- Signature sl. worn away, small restoration in left margin.
= With the collector's mark of F.A. Maglin on verso (Lugt 1777).
- Trifle foxed; formerly tipped-on mount, vaguely visible on verso; central horizontal fold.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXX.
= With a modern attribution on mount to Jusepe DE RIBERA (1590-1652). Seventeenth century paper with watermark showing three circles topped by a crown, with a cross in top circle, monogram CAC in central circle and letter D in lowest circle. Cf. Heawood 252 and 256 for similar watermarks, both found in paper in Spanish logs (±1650). Perhaps Italian or French. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXI.
- On paper w. crowned Strasbourg lily watermark. Trifle frayed; sm. lacking portion in upper margin; trifle foxed.
= With the collector's stamps of Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792) (Lugt 2364) and Emile Wauters (1846-1933) (Lugt 911). Tipped onto old passepartout w. ms. title-piece "Le Titien" and "Collection J. Reynolds". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXX.
- A few sm. scratches in the ink; the glass surface in overall fine condition.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXI.
- Section in upper left corner cut off, replaced w. later paper. = Watermark unidentified.
- On paper w. watermark of a vase/ elegant pot. A few marginal old folds/ creases; two very small (burn)holes; trifle yellowed/ soiled/ foxed.
Idem. "'t Blochuÿs te Lÿssel." Drawing, pen and brown ink and sepia wash, 11x17,5 cm.
- No watermark. = Title in banner similar to the above drawing.
- Several professionally closed tears in right margin; some flattened creases in right margin; rubbed spot in upper left corner.
= Possibly a design for wall decoration. SEE ILLLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXV.
- Sl. foxed and creased.
- Horizontal fold. = European drawing of two (probably) Manchu men, one wearing the traditional tail.
= On laid paper with part of mid-18th cent. Dutch watermark.
Anonymous (early 19th cent.). (Village view with a man riding a wheel barrow with a cask). Drawing, brush/ pen and ink, 14,4x20,3 cm., on velin paper.
- A few sm. duststains; sm. crease in lower and upper left corner.
= With the collector's mark of Prince Wladimir Argoutinsky-Dolgoroukoff (1875-1941) (Lugt 2602d) on verso.
= Perhaps a design for a print with grid lines in pencil. Probably a scene of a whaling fleet near Spitsbergen. On 18th century paper with Pro Patria and royal GR watermark.
- Sl. foxed.
- Sl. duststained; tipped onto mount. = Probably French.
- Sl. duststained; partly yellowed in upper left corner.
= With watermark "J. Honig en zoonen" (1765-1837). Annotation on verso "A. Kuip pinxit". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXII.
- Both drawings paper sl. yellowed.
= Both drawings on laid paper w. identical watermarks, showing "Bracciano" and a large unidentified crowned cartouche. One drawing w. a landscape sketch on verso. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXII.