2896 - 3632 OLD AND RARE BOOKS
- Many maps w. (large) (repaired) tears (along folds) and strengthened margins/ false folds, a few maps w. repaired holes w. ms. addition; some sl. yellowing/ offsetting; some maps in very good condition. Spine and portions of covers restored; frontcover w. later owner's title-piece ("Old General Atlas of M. Madelaine (Jervis)").
= The map of North America dated 1710, that of the world 1725. The seven last maps are copied from De L'Isle's ancient geography. Phillips 550 ("Modern geography: or all the known countries in the world (...)" comprising the same map titles); Sabin 79123 ("General Atlas" dated 1710 and w. 34 maps). Contains a Solar System, double-hemisphere worldmap, 5 maps of the continents (without Oceania, with separate North and South America), countries and regions in Europe and historical maps (Italy, Greece and Northern Africa). Very rarely found still bound together. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXXII.
- Lacks engr. frontisp. and letterpress dedication to Philip IV; title and first 8 text leaves sm. receding waterstain in fore-edge margin (maps not affected). Binding (sl.) worn along extremities.
= Koeman III B, 366:01. The rare first edition. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXXII.
- Occas. foxed; a few tiny holes; w. contemp. annots. in pen. Boardedges and spine worn.
= Pierre-Jean Mariette (1694-1774) was a well-known collector of and dealer in (mainly) French, Flemish and Italian old master prints.
- Lacking backstrip; boards sl. soiled.
= Contains contemporary annots. (mainly names of artists) in pen throughout. J. Bisschop was a 17th century art collector and dealer with a focus on works on paper.
- Without the 3rd vol. by Ter Westen. Some corners showing; joints rubbed/ splitting; frontcover vol.1 lacking sm. chip.
= Interleaved, w. results and names of buyers in pen and ink.
- Bookplate on first free endpaper; (repaired) map. w. 2 sm. tears; occas. browned/ sl. stained; final part wormholed (in inner magin). Binding heavily worn; spine dam./ torn; backcover w. dam spots. Sold w.a.f.
= Important works on the Nine Years War (1688-1697). Containing accounts of various military campaigns in the Spanish Netherlands and Flanders, with descriptions of The Siege of Huy and The Siege of Namur and with articles on military strategies and regiments and a military map ('Exact draught of the several attacks of the French line by the Duke of Wirtemberg').
- Lacks 7 plates, but with one extra plate (of Tantalus); hinges weak but holding well. Binding rubbed; top of spine dam.
= LARGE PAPER COPY. Coll. Van Eeghen 74; Van Eeghen/ Van der Kellen 110.
- Upper corner title-p. cut out; dedication leaf restored in upper margin; some foxing. Spine sl. dried and rubbed.
= Hagiography of the Bohemian martyr Johannes Nepomucenus. Contains fine plates. De Backer/ Sommervogel I, p.803.
- Bookplate on upper pastedown; endpapers trifle soiled. Vellum partly dried/ soiled.
= Klaversma/ Hannema 85.
AND 1 other J. LUYKEN, Beschouwing der wereld, Bestaande in Hondert konstige Figuuren (Amst., 1738, 3rd ed., num. ills., contemp. vellum).
- Bookplate on upper pastedown; a few lvs. sl. browned/ foxed; upper hinge weak. Spine-ends and corners worn/ showing; a few chafed spots.
= Cohen/ De Ricci 115-116; Graesse I, p.306. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXXIII.
- Contents good. Paper over covers trifle scratched; all vols. spine-ends sl. worn, corners (sl.) bumped and calf dried/ dam.
= PMM 155b; Ebert 1792; Zischka p.7: "Das Werk ist eine Kritik historischer und philosophisher Grundsätze im Geiste der frühen Aufklärung. Die kritischen Anmerkungen überwuchern den eigentlichen Text."
- Sl. cut short, affecting engr. border on title and occas. running title; occas. sl. foxed; heraldic bookplate on upper pastedown.
= Early adaptation of De Beaumarchais' play Le Mariage de Figaro of 1778. This copy once owned by Jacoba Maria Majofski (a.k.a. Koosje Naret Koning) (1807-1847), i.a. actress and singer. In this Figaro play, she must have played "Cherubyn" ("best gespeelt (...) door eene jonge mooije vrouw" (introd.)), for all lines by this character are marked in pen and ink. Rare.
- Sl. yellowed/ browned throughout; title-p. duststained and w. old owner's entry; a few leaves frayed/ sl. dam. in fore-edge margin; contemp. annots. (incl. a recipe for making ink) on both endpapers and blanks. Upper joint sl. weak; spine-ends chipped; lacks ties.
BOUND WITH 4 others, i.a. ORDINATIONES CURIARUM MAGNIFICI DOMINI RECTORIS (...) Almae Universitatis Studii Generalis Oppidi Lovaniensis (ibid., 1654, woodcut printer's mark. First few leaves waterstained in lower margin) and MODERATIE ENDE DISPENSATIE OVER DIE DAGHEMENTEN ende reele proceduren ten gronde soo binnen als buyten de stadt van Loven onder haer ressoort (ibid., 1645, woodcut printer's mark. Scattered old underlining in pen).
- Partly sl. browned; partly vaguely waterstained in upper outer blank corner, only sl. affecting ills.
= Part of Antiquitates illustrissimi ducatus Brabantiae (7 parts in total). The ills. are a double portrait of Salomon Bouchornius and his wife, and a view of "Parcum Dominorum".
- Several plates doubled; plan of Antwerp dam. in margins (and doubled); a few plates yellowed/ sl. browned; a few fold. plates w. (closed) tear(s) in margins; 2 fold. plates and 1 text leaf cut short; new endpapers. Otherwise a fine copy.
= Bibl. Belgica III, p.831-838. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXXIII.
- Lacks the engr. title and a large number of plates (present are i.a. a large bird's eye view of an Antwerp monastery, a bird's eye plan of Breda, "Monumentum Engelberti 1 (...)" and some smaller views of castles); partly yellowed/ sl. browned.
= Bibl. Belgica III, p.831-838.
- Bookplates on upper pastedown and first free endpaper; sm. stamp on title-p. Library ticket on frontcover.
- Contents (sl.) foxed/ browned; partly waterst. in (blank) margin; endpaper renewed. Top of spine dam.; vellum sl. warped.
= De Backer/ Sommervogel I, p.1222, no.29. The first edition was published in 1611.
- Lacks plan ("planche") I. The plans sl. dustsoiled, and partly w. marginal sm. stains, false folds and sm. holes on folds; the map yellowed. Backstrip worn away.
Le Grand. Verhaal van de verrassing van Bergen op Zoom, op den 8en en 9en Maart 1814 (...) benevens eene historische en krijgskundige plaatsbeschrijving dezer vesting. Breda, W. van Bergen en Comp., 1817, (2),143p., fold. engr. plan, 19th cent. limp boards. - BOUND BEFORE: Janssen, J. Kort en Beknopt Verhaal Van 't gepasseerde ten tyde van de Overrompeling der Stad Bergen op den Zoom Op den 16 September 1747 (...). Rott., H. Maronier/ Bergen op Zoom, J. vander Linden, 1777, (2),34p.
- Backstrip dam.; backcover loose. = Ad 1: F.M. 5941.