2269 - 2437 NATURAL HISTORY, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, TRANSPORT
- Vol. 1 waterstained throughout (incl. the plates); vol. 2 only w. sm. waterstain in inner blank margin/ corner and (sl.) foxed at the beginning and end; Byvoegzel lvs. also waterstained; the plate of the machine, plate I of vol. 1, bound in vol. 2 just before the Byvoegzel, and trifle/ sl. foxed. Recased w. use of orig. (worn) covers.
= With contemp. owner's entry on French title-p. vol. 1: "Donné par l'auteur le 6 Aoust 1785". Bierens de Haan 3070-3074; Landwehr, Col. Plates 124; Honeyman 2166; Wheeler Gift I, 532; Bakken library only the second part of the German translation. The description of the famous experiments by Martinus van Marum (1750-1837) with the largest electrostatic generator of the 18th century, still to be seen in the Teyler's museum in Haarlem. See on the importance of these experiments at length Mottelay p. 277-280. With spectacular plates showing the markations of calcified threads of various (precious) metals and alloys due an electric current through the threads. Vol. 2 is the "Eerste vervolg der waarneemingen, gedaan met Teyler's electrizeer-machine". A second supplementary vol. was published in 1795 (not present). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XC.
- Contents very fine; lacks first free endpaper; contemp. annot. in pen at the end of part 2: "Tot gebruyk van fr. Godefroi Bouvart Biblioth. van S. Bern. Anno 1724". Binding worn; corners bumped and worn.
= Henrey II, p.443f; Hunt 452: "This was the first treatise on cuttings and graftings, and it made Agricola famous". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCI.
- Occas. sl. soiled. Binding worn along extremities; joints splitting; covers rubbed. = Henrey 1132.
- Dustwr. w. 3 sm. tears. = Reprint of the 1903 edition.
Hoff, A. Dutch Firearms. Ed. W. Stryker. London, Sotheby Parke Bernet, 1978, XII,252p., 16 col. plates, ills., orig. giltlettered cl. w. (sl. dam.) dustwr., 4to. Hayward, J.F. The art of the gunmaker. Vol.1/ 2. London, Barrie and Rockliff, 1965/ 1963, 2nd ed./ 1st ed., 2 vols., 332; 379p., 201 (col.) plates and ills., orig. unif. cl. w. dustwr.
= A comprehensive work on the history of the Mortimer family and their iconic weaponry.
- Both vols. dustwr. worn/ dam.
AND 3 others on English guns i.a. J.N. GEORGE. English Pistols & Revolvers (London, 1979, 26 plates, ills., orig. cl. w. dustwr.)
- Dustwr. of the second volume sl. frayed.
= Scholary work on the London based gunmaking family.
= Extensive work on one of the premium gunmakers of the 19th century.
- Backwr. sl. fingersoiled.
= Rare trade-catalogue. The Walther PPK gained notoriety as the weapon used by James Bond and is believed to be the weapon Hitler committed suicide with.
- Lacks the (lithogr.) title-p.; trifle soiled (1 plate sl. worse); trifle foxed; contemp. heraldic bookplate on upper pastedown. Binding worn along extremities and sl. soiled.
= (Pirate?) reprint of Alken's The beauties and defects in the figure of the horse of 1816. With tipped-in "Notices of the Press" leaf, announcing books for 1876. Cf. Nissen, ZBI 84; Mennessier de la Lance p.14.
- Trifle stained. Frontcover trifle soiled, otherwise very good copy.
- Trifle foxed, but otherwise very fine. = Rare, not in the usual reference works.
- Untrimmed copy without binding. Partly waterstained.
- Fine. = Facs. reprint of the ed. Zutphen, 1898.
- Trifle foxed. = Nissen, ZBI 1276; cf. Mennessier de la Lance I, p.442.
Quadekker, E.A.L. Het paardenboek. Een geïllustreerd handboek voor iederen bezitter en liefhebber van paarden. Zutphen, Schillemans & Van Belkum, n.d. (1903-1905), 2 (of 3 vols.), (4),570,(2); (2),606,(2)p., 32 (col.) (woodengr.) plates, num. (woodengr.) ills., orig. unif. giltlettered cl., 4to.
- Lacks 3rd vol.; both vols. w. a few plates and endpapers sl. foxed; 1st vol. upper hinge broken and lower hinge weak; first few lvs. sl. stained in outer margin; some lvs. loose(ning). Spine-ends and corners trifle worn.
AND 2 others: A.G.T. LEISERING and H.M. HARTMANN, Der Fuß des Pferdes in Rücksicht auf Bau, Verrichtungen, Hufbeschlag und Hufkrankheiten (Hannover, 1913, 12th ed., ills., orig. cl. Top of spine sl. worn) and STUD-BOOK OF THE NETHERLANDS. ARABIAN HORSE-CLUB (n.pl., 1952, photogr. plates, orig. giltlettered rexine).
= "Equipagen-Handbuch" and "Wagen-Atlas".
- Upper pastedown w. sm. repear w. tape; owner's stamp on verso first free endpaper; frontisp. and a few plates sl. waterstained in blank margins; a few lvs. loose and w. sm. tears in margins. Binding worn, waterwrinkled and some dam. spots.
AND a set of 41 col. picture postcards (±1920) after plates by Eerelman in Quadekker, Paardenrassen, in orig. cl. portfolio.
- Endpapers browned; trifle foxed.
AND 2 others, i.a. F.A. LEYH, Handbuch der Anatomie der Haustiere. Mit besonderer Berücksichtigung des Pferdes (Stuttg., 1859, 2nd enl. and rev. ed., woodengr. ills., contemp. hmor.).