1894 - 1929 INDONESIA
- Without the plate "G. Lamongan". Some (marginal) foxing/ soiling and (closed) marginal tears and lacking portions; overall condition very good (4x), good (2x) and (sl.) defective (4x).
= From the often lacking atlas of Junghuhn's major work on Java. Bastin/ Brommer p.28-29 ("(...) the plates have a unique charm of their own"); Rouffaer/ Muller p.11; Landwehr, Dutch Books w. Col. Plates 325. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVI.
- Some minor yellowing/ foxing (flimsies sl. browned); vol. 1 hinges weakening. Bindings trifle frayed along extremities.
= Bastin/ Brommer p.46 and 204-207; Buur, Persoonlijke documenten 323.
- A few lvs. and plates loose(ning); some foxing. Binding sl. soiled/ darkened; sm. inkstain on backcover.
= Bastin/ Brommer p.46. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVI.
- Upper hinge weak; occas. (sl.) faded, sl. frayed and w. (sm.) dam. spots; also includes a few mounted photocopies of orig. photographs (w. mounted cut out parts). Album sl. worn, scratched and stained.
= Mostly views of Batavia (i.a. the cathedral, the office of the Koninklijke Paketvaart Maatschappij, the Atjeh Monument and the Rijswijkstraat with the taylor shop of the Oger Frères). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVII.
- Most photographs in fine condition; a few trifle soiled/ chafed. Corners showing.
= Album containing (group) portraits with various backgrounds. Also contains a few photographs of ceremonial gatherings and many photographs of Indonesian and Singapore sites.
= Albums probably from two different families (one probably from Germany) showing views in mostly Sumatra (i.a. Batak villages), also a few European views. I.a. the photographers Siong Kwei Tong (Tjantian Surabaya), Salzwedel (Surabaya), Charls & van Es, O. Kurkdjian (Surabaya), J. Wah Seng (Menudo).
- Lacks slide no.12 ("Chineesche famille te Malang").
= A very fine collection of private(?) slides, showing i.a. buildings, landscapes, people, activities etc. Some titles: "Chineesche toko", "Inlandsche hoofden te Malang 1895", "Gamalang van Regent te Malang 1896", "Dansmeisjes bij Regent te Malang 1896", "Wagen met Chineesche muzikant (...) Tjap Gomeh Malang 1895", "Rapat (rechtzitting) te Malang", "Wajang orang te Malang 1896", "Batikken", "Rijst koken of stoomen (...)", "Afstraffing dwangarbeider Batavia" and "Kampong idylle Batavia". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVII.
- Title-p. w. old annots. in pen and ink. Frontcover loose; backstrip lacks portion at top of spine.
= Rouffaer/ Muller p.68.
- Tear in margin of one plate and the immediately following few lvs.; hinges weakening; sl. foxed.
= Landwehr 301; Bastin/ Brommer 519; Tiele 452; Rouffaer/ Muller p.11; Lipperheide Ld48 (ed.1872); Colas 1378. Rare. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVI.
- Without the 5th installment (publ. 1914) containing a further 20 plates, ±300 textp. and a bibliography. The plates partly loose(ning) and sl. foxed; text part occas. foxed. Binding sl. worn along extremities; joints splitting.
= "Publicaties van Rijks Ethnographisch Museum, Series II, 1." Rouffaer/ Muller p.794; Hiler p.761; Lipperheide Yb 68; Siegelaub p.283: "A major early and exhaustive study on batik in Indonesia." Scholarly and definitive work on the Netherlands-Indies' batik art. Contains a wealth of creative and partly colourful designs and patterns, numerous photographic plates illustrating the creative process, different materials and techniques, people in traditional batik dress etc. The plates mainly printed by Kleinmann & Co., Haarlem. Very rare standard work.
- Spines sl. foxed. Fine set. = Rare.
- Sm. tear in 1 fold. plate; all vols. sl. foxed/ (water)stained; year 1 w. 2 stamps (on title-p. and textleaf); first free endpaper of year 1 w. index in contemp. manuscript; year 2 lacks htitle and title-p. Sl. rubbed along extremities.= Rouffaer Muller p.818.
- Hinges weak. Binding sl. rubbed near edges.
- Annots. on first endpapers. Otherwise fine.
- Occas. sl. foxed. Boardedges w. rubbed spots. = Rouffaer/ Muller I, p.7; Buur PD 392; Bastin/ Brommer 705.