5613 - 5827 PRINTS - FOREIGN TOPOGRAPHY. MAPS, PLANS, VIEWS
- Trifle foxed and yellowed.
= Rare map, with the Korean peninsula as an island and a very rudimentary depiction of Japan in the centre. Based on the map of the same region by J. Blaeu.
- (Sl.) yellowed; split on middle fold (repaired w. tape and paper on verso); upper margin trimmed to the borderline; lacking portion of blank upper right and left corner replaced by modern paper.
- Linen foxed on verso. Slipcase weak.
= Rare. Lower part has separate title: "Carte pour suivre la marche de la guerre en Orient ". This map dates from the commencement of the Crimean War and shows different railwaytracks, possibly for the supply of army troups.
- Lower end of middle fold split.
"Carte Nouvelle d'Europe." Engr. map by E.A. PHILIPPE DE PRÉTOT, engr. by VALLET, w. cartouche, flanked by legend/ tables, 28x42,5 cm., (Paris, 1787) (fine).
- Trifle yellowed/ foxed.
= Decorative map showing i.a. the greater part of Europe and northern Africa. Van der Krogt/ Koeman I, 0830H:1. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXIV.
- Trifle foxed; upper and lower margin (outside borderline but containing text) sl. dustsoiled and w. sm. tears (occas. sl. affecting map area).
= Impressive map of unidentified origin (ms. numb. "5" on verso) on a stereographic polar projection, with a diagonal orientation in the border (North in upper right and South in lower left corner) and with a prominent meridian running through St. Petersburg. The map, showing also parts of northern Africa and the near East, is cluttered with topological information, especially in the Europe area. With dedication to Zsar Alexander I.
- The left sheet sl. yellowed along middle fold; the right sheet sm. tears at ends of middle fold (hardly affecting image).
= Impressive and rare map, running from "America" (Greenland) in the West up to and including the Caspian Sea and an incompletely depicted Nova Zembla and Siberia ("piaggie non per anco conosciute") in the East, and showing a nice whaling scene in the Norwegian Sea. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXIV.
- Sl. yellowed in blank margins, otherwise a fine copy.
- Folded; sl. dustsoiled; vaguely creased. = Nice print depicting 140 flags.
- A few stains along middle fold.
AND 3 others, i.a. "Nieuwe en naaukeurige kaart van het Noordelykste Gedeelte van Frankryk" (Amst., I. Tirion, 1757).
- Trifle yellowed; crease/ fold along middle fold. = Decorative map.
"Gouvernement General de l'Isle de France, et Pays Circomvoisins." Engr. map by N. SANSON D'ABBEVILLE, w. handcol. borders and w. cartouche, 39x52 cm., Paris, P. Mariette, 1651. - AND 3 others: "Champagne et Brie" (by N. SANSON, 37,5x44,5 cm., Paris, ±1650) and 2 handcol. steelengr. maps from J. THOMSON'S New General Atlas, 1814: "France" and "France in Provinces".
= Van der Krogt/ Koeman II, 4200:2.
AND 5 other, smaller handcol. engr. maps of France, 17th/ 18th cent., all in attractive frames, i.a. "Nova Galliae Tabula" (from MERCATOR, early 17th cent. Yellowed), "Gallia Antiqua et Nova" (publ. Ph. Cluer, ±1690), "A New and Accurate Map of France" (by E. BOWEN, 1766) and "Vrankryck" (by SANSON, ±1705).
- Some sm. tears in blank margins. = Koeman/ Van der Krogt I, 4880:1C.3.
"Tabula Aquitaniae, complectens Gubernationem Guiennae et Vasconiae". Handcol. engr. map, 48,5x58 cm., Nürnberg, J.B. Homann, ±1740.
- Sl. yellowed; some sm. marginal tears.
= Nice map of the Bordeaux-region, with large cartouche and inset view of Bordeaux and plans of Bayonne and Blaye.
- Part of green border in left margin of image cracked due to acidity of ink; closed tear in upper blank margin, just affecting Latin caption.
ADDED: "Nouvelle Carte de la Province de Flandre" (Augsb., J. Walch, 1795).
- A few closed marginal tears; a few spots nibbled by silverfish. = Decorative map.
- Closed tears in upper margin (±2 cm. into image) and sm. closed hole on intersection of folds (the folds as published) near Lille; trifle yellowed/ w. very vague offsetting.
AND 12 other engr. maps of (parts of) France, all but one 17th/ 18th cent., small/ medium sizes, all but one handcol., i.a. "La France" (uncol. engr. w. cartouche and within architectonic border, from P. VAN DER AA, ±1725), "France" (by T. KITCHIN), "Gallia cum Provinciis insertis et adsitis" (by C. WEIGEL, Nürnb.) and "Carte du Duche de Lorraine. Kaart van Lotharingen" and "Caart van Languedoc" (2 maps w. border w. 13/ 12 plans, from LA FEUILLE). - ADDED: 2 engr. maps of Spain and Portugal, 2 sm. plates w. costume figures and 1 plan of Madrid, 18th/ early 19th cent.
= Nice 'trompe l'oeil' showing the two maps pinned to a wall.
AND 39 others, mainly handcol. (steel)engr. maps of (parts of) France, early 17th-19th cent., small/ medium sizes, i.a. "France. Païs-Bas" and "N.tre Dame de Paris" both from MALLET, "Britannia", "Normannia" and "Poictou" from i.a. an ORTELIUS pocket atlas (1609), and 21 steelengr. maps w. handcol. borders and surrounded by dec. pict. border from ATLAS RÉGIONAL ILLUSTRÉ (±1850).