5220 - 5568 PRINTS - GRAPHIC ART, 16th-19th CENTURY
- "De Zomer" sl. foxed; "De Herfst" sl. duststained/ soiled.
= Rare complete series of the seasons. Decorative prints, each with differently calligraphed large title and 2 small circular views within various ornamental allegorical borders. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIII.
- Sl. grey impression. on laid paper w. "C S" watermark.
= Hollstein 52, the 2nd state (of 2), with the number. De Jongh/ Luijten, Mirror of everyday life 68 (p.325-328, w. ill., also used as illustration on the dustwrapper): "(...) the most genre-like of Dujardin's fifty-two etchings. The majority are of landscapes and animals". With the collector's stamp of A.P. van den Briel on verso (b.1881) (Lugt 407a).
- Damaged section in upper right margin w. closed tear and sm. hole in image; trimmed to/ just inside the border line; partly laid down in top half (no watermark visible); mounting tape in lower corners on verso (yellowed on recto). Sold w.a.f.
= Bartsch 92A ("Copie fort trompeuse"); cf. Schoch/ Mende/ Scherbaum 1; cf. Strauss 2; cf. Meder 42. One of the earliest engravings by Dürer. This is probably the copy that Bartsch describes. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIII.
- Sl. yellowed and some vague foxing; trimmed on/ within the platemark (with loss of address below); sm. dam. in lower left corner.
= Hollstein 14, the 4th and final state (Basan-edition).
- Late/ modern impression on wove paper; sl. foxed in lower right corner.
= Hollstein 15, 3rd and final state.
AND 3 others: "T sa vrienden al te saem, maeckt uwe smook-schou ree (...)" (modern impression of an engraving by A. BROUWER), "Ioannes Breugel" (etched portrait by A. VAN DYCK. (Sl.) foxed) and "3 Characters. 4 Caricaturas" (engraving by W. HOGARTH showing many faces).
- Second sm. rusthole in text; first print folded twice and sl. creased.
= Two prints concerning the numerous cases of bankruptcy in 1763. F.M. 4143.
ADDED: 2 others unrelated, i.a. F.M. 4011.
- Occas. sl. frayed and sl. duststained.
= Le Blanc 25-53, i.a. Bacchanalia (8 different prints incl. 2 prints w. 4 etched friezes each), the conversion of Saul, "Le Veau d'Or" (2 different prints), "Moyse frappe le Rocher" and "Le Martyre de St. Etienne". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIV.
AND a portrait of Raymond la Fage by C. VERMEULEN (engraving w. caption below, 43x29,5 cm., from Divers Sujets tirez de l'Histoire de Toulouze).
= Identifications in pencil "Capri" and "Procita".
AND two series of 48 handcol. steelengr. costume plates, both 19th cent., i.a. 37 handcol. steelengravings from MUSÉE COSMOPOLITE (all fine).
- Occas. sl. dustsoiled in blank margins.
AND 4 others incl. 3 similar catchpenny prints on crinoline fashion, publ. by Gangel (2x) and Pellerin: "La Crinoline. Air (à la façon de Barbari)", "Heur et Malheur de la Crinoline" and "Le Règne de la Crinoline" (all folded once). - ADDED: 23 others, incl. two series of handcol. lithographs by H. MONNIER: "Récréations" (11x) and "Moeurs Parisiennes" (10x).
- Occas. (sl.) foxed/ yellowed and sl. brittle.
- All leaves sl. duststained in margin(s). Otherwise fine.
= F.M. 3967 (without the expl. leaf); Lotz p.105 (ill.35).
AND 2 others similar, incl. a duplicate of the first print.
- All fine. Only a few plates handcoloured. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIII.
- "Bocconia" trifle soiled. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIV.
- Sl. foxed. = Probably from Choix des Plus Belles Fleurs.
AND 9 others, mostly, if not all, from the same work, mostly foxed, i.a.. "Pervenche", "Ixia à fleurs vertes", "Chèvre-feuille", "Anémone étoilée", "Muflier a grandes fleurs" and "Rosier Pompon". - ADDED: ±30 other col. lithographs of plants, trees and flowers, from various works, i.a. from H. VON WAWRA, Botanische Ergebnisse der Reise Seiner Majestät des Kaisers von Mexico Maximilian I. nach Brasilien (1859-60).
- Stain in left margin.
Anonymous (early 20th cent.). (Sketch of various flowers). Drawing, pencil and watercolour, 13x20 cm. (image), framed.
- With vague "signature" of G. van Spaendonck in lower right corner, but paper clearly 20th cent.