5220 - 5568 PRINTS - GRAPHIC ART, 16th-19th CENTURY
- Trimmed to the borderline; on 18th cent. wove paper.
= Hollstein 8, the 3rd state (of 3). With the collector's stamps of Th. Graf and H. Detmold on verso (Lugt 1092a and 760).
Idem. The entry to the wood. Etching from the series of 6 Landscapes, 12,6x14,3 cm., "AW F" in the plate.
- Good impression of the Basan edition. = Hollstein 55, 5th and final state.
- Good impression on 18th cent. paper; trimmed on/ just outside the platemark; ink of collector's stamp (verso) shining through in centre.
= Hollstein 57, 3rd state (of 4). With the collector's stamp of Th. Graf on verso (Lugt 1092a).
- Worn spot in top margin; sl. foxed in left margin. Title-strip cut off and mounted on verso.
= Ingalls 70: "(...) particularly fine whaling scene" SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CX.
- Sl. browned in upper blank margin; sm. brown spot near right margin.
ADDED: 2 other engravings, by P. VAN LIENDEN and P. TANJÉ.
- Both lvs. w. flattened vertical middle-fold; sl. thumbed/ soiled and some vague foxing.
= Hollstein 52.1, first state (of 2); Mauquoy-Hendrickx III.1 no. 1983, first state; cf. Koeman II, p.211. The fine large print depicts 49 important church- or military leaders in costume.
- Waterst. in upper margin (affecting image) and outer lower blank margin.
= Hollstein 1042, the second state (of 2).
Goltzius, H. (1558-1617) (after). Fantasy portrait of an old man with a hat. Engraving, 19,4x16,2 cm., monogrammed "HG Ao97" in the plate.
- Margin trimmed on/ just inside the borderline in left, upper and right margin; sl. (water)stained/ dustsoiled.
= Hollstein 731.
AND 2 engravings by W. VAN SWANENBURGH: "Iudas Iscarioth" (sharp oblique fold) and "Zachaeus".
- A few old folds. w. small dam. spots and a few tiny stains. Doubled.
= F.M. Portraits 6161 and 6177 (both attrib. to B. Picart).
- Both sl. foxed.
AND 7 other (sm.) engravings, 18th/ 19th cent., mainly on American history.