5220 - 5568 PRINTS - GRAPHIC ART, 16th-19th CENTURY
= Small views of the battles of Ciudad Rodrigo, Vittoria, Talavera, San Sebastiano and Badajoz.
= From W. Simpson, The Seat of War in the East (London/ Paris, 1855).
AND 5 others by the same from the same work, all showing views of the Battle of Sebastopol during the Crimean War, all but one unif. framed.
- A few foxed spots. = Skillfully handcoloured and impressive print.
- Two vertical folds (as published?).
= Nice contemporary panoramic view of the Battle of Waterloo, with the Duke of Wellington in centre.
- Sl. browned; sm. creases near/ in upper and lower margin.
= Rare. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVII.
- Trimmed to/ on the border line; a few brown spots.
- Doubled; a few tiny holes in lower edge and to the left; wrinkled vertical line in right part.
- Folded twice; sl. creased in lower corners.
= Interesting plates, consisting of the title-p., a plate showing various gems, a plate showing the baptising of "Willem Fredrik Prince van Orange" and 12 plates to the twelve months with various amorous scenes, i.a. with a skating couple.
- All yellowed and occas. sl. waterst. in blank margins.
= January, February, March, April, May, June, September, October, November, December.
- Some foxings; defects in margins.
AND 16 other engravings by the same, i.a. of (Carlos IV and his wife Aloisya - King of Spain) (1789), (The Funeral of Charles II of Spain) and 6 plates from In Honor of Livia della Roccella (1784).
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIX.
- Plate 6 (Annunciation) is mounted and lacks the engr. captions and lower right corner.
= Hollstein 37, 39, 41, 43 and 44 (Muller), w. the address of C.J. Visscher.
AND 12 others, i.a. from the series Acts of the Apostles by PH. GALLE after M. VAN HEEMSKERCK (w. defects).
- Restored middle-fold. = Hollstein 438.
AND 2 engravings by C. CORT, both from the series Circulus vicissitudines rerum humanarum (1564): "Pax (...)" and "Auriga Torpo" (both restored copies).
- Sl. grey impressions, partly w. old folds and defects in blank margins.
= New Hollstein 9, 10, 12, 16, 18 (The Muller Dynasty).
= Nice caricature. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIX.
AND 2 others: "Der Rheinischer Courier verliehrt auf der Heimreise von der Leipziger Messe alles" (small handcol engr. w. engr. caption below) and "De Geest van Napoleon beschouwt zijn Graf" (small lithograph, Amst., E. Maaskamp).
- Sl. fingersoiled. = Probably later edition with the address of the artist removed.
- Blank margins sl. foxed/ soiled.
= Captions as follows: "Der neue Universalmonarch auf dem, zum Wohl der Menschheit errichteten Throne"; "Diesen Bock habe ich geschossen"; "Die neue Europaeische Barbierstube"; "Ach, Papa, welche schöne Seifenblasen hast Du gemacht!" and "Spanier: Befehlen Sie Spanische-Bitter? (...)". Rare (complete?) series. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIX.
- All (sl.) browned; occas. a foxed/ mouldy spots. = From various series.
- Upper blank margin a few tears; handling creases; some sl. foxing (mainly in outer margins).