177 - 594 FINE AND APPLIED ARTS, ART REFERENCE
- Top of spine sl. worn; dustwr. sl. dam. on spine-ends and one corner chipped. Otherwise fine.
= One of the most important early monographs on the artist.
- Without vols. VI and VII. Dustwrappers worn/ brittle.
= Arntzen/ Rainwater M405: "Fundamental work on early Netherlandish painting".
- One vol. upper compartment spine dam. = Arntzen/ Rainwater M405.
Popham, A.E. and Parker, K.T. (ed.). Drawings of the Great Masters. London, E. Benn, 1926, 6 vols., num. plates, orig. unif. cl.
- Endpapers sl. foxed; vague waterstain in lower and outer margins and edges binding.
= Very nice Jugendstil binding. Illustrations by art nouveau artists and designers i.a. P. Behrens, Jessie M. King, J. Toorop, C. Wegerif, H.P. Berlage and J. Mendez da Costa. Rare.
- The plates occas. (sl.) foxed. Bindings sl. soiled; spines sunned.
= Arntzen/ Rainwater P186. I. The age of oak; II. The age of walnut; III. The age of mahogany; IV. The age of satinwood. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE VI.
- First issue of the series waterst./ dam. and strengthened along margins. Joint of first vol. split at top of spine; both bindings some rubbed spots/ scratched; slipcase dam.
= Rare complete run of this periodical on contemporary interior decoration, bound especially for and presented to W.A. Dwars Sr., on occasion of his 40th anniversary at Pander. At the beginning of the first vol. a Pander trade catalogue for 1911 has been bound in.
- Fine. = All prints signed, titled and numb. in pencil.
- Fine copy. = The duo's first publication. Rare.
- Occas. trifle/ sl. yellowed/ foxed. Binding worn along extremities; spine-ends sl. dam.
AND 1 other: H. BÉRALDI, Raffet. Peintre National (Paris, n.d. (±1890), lithogr. plates/ ills., loose col. dec. title/ "souscription Raffet" leaf, contemp. (sl. worn) hcl., folio. Rare with the "souscription" leaf).
- Backstrip, joints and folding flaps worn/ sl. dam.
= Rare and early reproductions of drawings by Van Gogh, probably the first published overview of his work (published simultaneously with a similar edition issued by W. Versluys (Amsterdam)).
= Nice series (without general series title) of scholarly works on various literary, historical, mythological, classical and biblical figures and subjects, in literature, music, art, religion and theatre.
AND 1 other similar, J. VAN LAARHOVEN, De beeldtaal van de christelijke kunst (Nijm., 1992, num. ills., orig. wr.).
- Two plates trifle foxed in blank margins; one textleaf partly sl. browned/ foxed due to formerly inserted leaf; otherwise contents fine. Covers sl. soiled; spine-ends worn/ frayed; strip of brown paper along upper joint.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE VII.